Thursday, April 21, 2011

Have You Seen This - Rose Among Thorns

I first discovered Rose from Rose Among Thorns in a http://www.felt.co.nz/ forum thread in October 2009 - don't be impressed I remembered the date ... I just had to look it up! 

Thrilled to have found so many crafty creative people in one place I set about checking out some of their blogs and facebook pages and Rose struck a particular chord with her beautiful vibrant candles in unsual tear drop shapes with yummy sounding fragrances.  Following her blog to learn more, I was intrigued with her brand in general -  simple, stunning, effective - little wonder, this is a chick with skills in the graphic design field. 

A bit down the track, I placed a custom order with Rose - a set of mini teardrop candles in teal.  Not a colour from her then range, she was happy to make to my vision and I was soon in receipt of the most beautifully presented package of candles. 

Not so long after, we discovered another comanality, Rose and I are both Coeliacs (gluten should not come near us!!), and it was lovely in April last year to have the chance to meet Rose at a cafe with gluten free goodies and the company of 3 other creative lovelies during a whistle-stop visit to Christchurch.  Fantastic to meet in person the people that you get to enjoy moving in the same creative on-line circles with and whom you are inspired and motivated by.

Rose has kindly answered a few questions for me to share with you...


What are your infuences and or philosophy?

My first influence would be my mother. She is into lots of different crafts, and taught me quite a few different skills when I was younger. More recently, I would have to say the modern craft movement, with all the new craft fairs popping up, the online marketplaces such as Felt, and the craft community as a whole, through blogs and meeting people.

My philiosophy is to create things that are sustainable, beautiful and functional. I am aware of the need to cut back on the use of things that are thrown away, and to focus on more sustainable alternatives. Some of my products fcous on reusing things that might normally be thrown away, and others on using renewable resources.

Favourite product(s) to make and why?

Hmm, that is a tough question, as I enjoy making all of my products. However I do really enjoy making the hand-dipped tapers, and watching them slowly take shape in front of you. They look great when they're finished too, I'm always admiring them!

Have you any other crafty sidelines/interests?

I do the occasional bit of knitting, and sewing (I recently finished a very large ongoing project of re-covering an old couch). I also take a painting class, which is good because I never seem to find the time to paint at home.

Earliest Art/Craft/Design memory?

With starting at a young age I don't have any particular 'earliest memory'. However I used to go with Mum to her spinning group, and when I got older I would go with her in the school holdiays, and the other ladies would always be impressed with my latest (usually knitted) creation.

What do you love most about what you do?

I like being creative, and having a variety of things to do. I get bored if I do the same thing day in day out, so running my own multi-faceted business gives me the opportunity to do what I like, when I like – within reason of course! I also like being in control of my destiny. I get to decide what happens next, and where I want my business to go.

Anything you'd like to add?

I had always daydreamed about running my own business, so when the opportunity came up, I knew it was the right thing to do. If it's something you've always dreamed of, then make a start. It doesn't have to be a big step, but one thing always leads to another.



You can find Rose's work here, and follow her happenings on her blog here.  I also highly recommend you hit her up for her gluten free anzac biscuit recipe :).

3 comments:

  1. What an inspirational post Mel. Thanks for sharing and thank you Rose for sharing your business with us......must put candles on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab Mel!
    I love looking at Rose's candles, and her blog is really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Rose's teardrop candles were one of the first things I spotted on Felt, love them!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your feedback, please leave me a comment...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails